Translate

Thursday, November 8

Thanksgiving? Gobble, Gobble!!

Hey guys,

So last week I said I was going to post about Thanksgiving and how awesome my grandmas food is (uhh corn cassarole anyone?) and possibly post some recipes 'cause y'know, Thanksgiving is just one of those holidays where you can eat and eat and eat and not feel guilty about it. (Well, I don't anyways.) I'm just so excited for my grandmas mashed potatoes and turkey 'cause well, they're the best! Everything Grandma makes is homemade and made with love, which is prolly why it's so good. On a sidenote: have you ever gone to a friends and they're like "My mom makes the best (insert food here)!" and you're like "oh how nice," but really you're thinking "Noooo way Jose! My mom makes waaaaay better!?" Haha, because I totally do!  But hey, I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Anyways, my grandma knows I don't like pie very much so she makes me a pan of her lemon bars. This recipe has been handed down from generation to generation and now I have it. (: I wish I would've taken a picture of them the last time I made them so you could see what they look like at every step, but oh well! Below is the recipe...

Great-Great Grandma Rude's Lemon Bars


You will need:

1/2 cup of margarine
1/4 cup of powdered sugar
1 and 1/2 cups of sifted flour (I've used unsifted before and there is no difference)

Preheat the oven to 350° and combine ingredients in a bowl. It will look like a crust, which then you will need to put in a greased bar pan. (A double batch fits a 9x13 pan pretty nicely) Let it cool for 15-20 minutes.


Lemon Filling:

3 eggs
2 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA!)
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
and a pinch of salt

Mix together, but don't over mix otherwise the eggs will be too fluffy and the filling won't turn out right. Pour over cooled crust and bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely before the next step. **If you don't have freshly squeezed lemon juice, the stuff in the bottle is okay too.


Frosting:

1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of milk (2% and nothing else)
1 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons margarine

Frost and enjoy! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment